Unions for Palestine
It was moved that the Branch Executive endorses the following statement:
The Australian Services Union (Victorian Private Sector Branch) joins the union movement in calling for an immediate ceasefire in Israel and Palestine and the protection of all civilian life.
Civilians must urgently be afforded access to basic humanitarian needs including water, food, medical supplies and shelter, and the international community must uphold international law and their support for universal human rights. The indiscriminate bombing of Gaza is a crime and must stop.
We join unions in Australia and abroad in grieving for the workers who have been killed in this violence while at work, including nurses, paramedics, health workers and journalists.
We reaffirm our solidarity with VTHC unions in calling for an end to the violence in Israel and Palestine, and for the international community to work quickly towards a resolution for lasting peace, which must at its heart recognise the state of Palestine and the freedom and equality of its citizens, and act in accordance with UN Security Council resolutions. For a lasting peace to be meaningful, Palestinians must have the same rights, self-determination, and access to resources, as any other democratic nation.
We reaffirm our Branch’s ongoing commitment to our partner organisations in the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network (APAN) and Union Aid Abroad APHEDA. Members can also take action by:
- Become a member of the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network (APAN) and Union Aid Abroad APHEDA , and encourage your workplace to join as an organisation member.
- Donate to or attend events and rallies coordinated by these organisations or coordinate a fundraising event at your workplace in support.
- Sign up to online newsletters and follow these organisations on social media for up-to-date information, upcoming rallies or events, and to learn more.
- Civil society organisations can add their voice to the Australian Centre for International Justice statement coordinated by Amnesty International Australia here: https://acij.org.au/joint-statement-australian-civil-society-statement-in-solidarity-with-gaza/
- Speak with your family, friends and colleagues about taking part in the campaign.
- Download Unions For Palestine posters here .
- ASU members can also join the ASU Members 4 Palestine group - details are available on facebook and instagram .
- Solidarity rallies are taking place in Melbourne at 12noon every Sunday at the State Library of Victoria.
The union movement is a movement of peace. We reiterate our strong opposition to all forms of violence, as well as racism, antisemitism, and islamophobia.